Mining and natural resources transactions in emerging markets (and infrastructure to support mining operations) represent a key aspect of the experience of the Trinity team members. Members of the Trinity mining team have advised on greenfield mining developments and related equity and debt financings together with large acquisitions and disposals of substantive mining operations. We have had experience in coal, zinc, gold, copper developments and are familiar with the industry documentation involved in undertaking such developments and their financing.
In 2012, Trinity opened an office in Australia in order to service the significant number of mining companies in Australia with projects in Africa and other emerging markets. This has allowed Trinity to bridge a critical relationship between resources and infrastructure, particularly in areas such as captive power to mining projects. Trinity has a close partnership with one of Australia’s pre-eminent mining firms, making our resources team one of the leading international practices.
- Relevant transactions of our team members include:
– Acting for lenders in the project financing of a nickel mine, Madagascar (PFI “Mining Deal of the Year”)
– Advising Stanbic Bank Ghana and Caterpillar Finance on the financing of mining equipment, Sierra Leone
– Advising a large ASX gold miner in relation to the development and financing of a captive power project, Mali
– Acting for Credit Suisse and Standard Chartered for a $150m refinancing of a gold mine, South Africa
– Advising a junior mining company in relation to its farm-in arrangement with First Quantum, Namibia
– Acting for a development bank in relation to its mezzanine loan for a project financing of a mineral sands project, Kenya
– Acting for African Minerals in relation to its Tonkilili iron operations, Sierra Leone
– Advising ASX listed corporate in relation to a coal mine acquisition, South Africa
– Advising ASX listed Middle Island Resources in relation to its project in Niger
– Advising investors in relation to their investment in a bauxite mine, Guinea